(2020 April Nucs are SOLD OUT) ** Please call us at (503) 399-8409 if you would like a Nuc in May; we may have some available in mid-May. Pre-Orders for 2021 Nucs will open in the fall. *******
About NUC Boxes
Nucleus hives (NUCs) are perfect for beginning beekeepers, and for replacing winter losses. If you are looking for a hive that is already semi-established with a laying queen and brood already being raised, then one of our established NUCs with bees might be right for you. NUCs are more ethically raised than “packages” of bees, and have a better chance of success. Think of NUCs as mini-hives ready to be transplanted into your hive at home.
Our NUCs include an introduced Italian queen, known for their great honey production, quick spring build up, and docile manners. However, the queens in these nucleus colonies are selected by performance traits such as mite resistance, not race. Therefore we are unable to guarantee the race of each queen.
Each NUC includes (1) high-protein patty to feed your bees with. Feeding your NUCs is one of the best techniques to rearing a successful colony and jump starting spring build up. The NUCs will be in a wax-coated cardboard box for transport.
Where & When Can I Pick Up My Nuc Box?
- You can pick up your bees at 5180 Lardon Road NE, Salem, Oregon 97305.
- You can pick up bees on your scheduled pickup date from 7:00am – 8:30am.
- NO SHIPPING is available for NUCs. They must be picked up.
- Please be prepared to interact in the “bee yard.” You are responsible for your own safety. Please be prepared to bring your bee suit, gloves, duct tape, and a way to secure your NUC box in your vehicle so they don’t tip over.
How much do NUCs cost?
- NUCs are $180.00
- A $30.00 Deposit is required to reserve your NUC. You can choose to pay the deposit, or pay in full online.
- A CASH DISCOUNT of $10.00 is available by paying in cash when you pick up your bees!
- Payment in full is due at time of pickup.
Flying Bee Ranch does not guarantee the successful establishment of a colony. There are many variables that influence the success of a colony. We do our best to provide all customers with thriving, healthy bees but we do not assume responsibility once the bees leave our farm. Flying Bee Ranch is not responsible for the survival or productivity of the hive and therefore, does not offer refunds or replacements. If you would like to inspect your NUC on your pickup day, please let us know in advance so we may accommodate your request.
Customers need to call to request a refund. There are NO refunds on NUC orders after February 27, 2020. Cancelled orders are subject to a $30.00 cancellation fee. All pre-ordered Nucs must be picked up by 10:00am on your scheduled pickup date or they will be considered abandoned. Abandoned NUCs will be sold and no refunds given.
We’re here to help! We want you to be successful in your beekeeping adventure and will try to make any necessary accommodations. If you have questions about NUCs, beekeeping in general, or just not sure where to start please let us know. You can email, call, or stop by our farm for more information. Happy Beekeeping!
-Flying Bee Ranch