2023 Nucleus Hives
About Nucleus Hives (NUCS)
Nucleus hives (NUCs) are perfect for beginning beekeepers, and for replacing winter losses. If you are looking for a hive that is already semi-established with a laying queen and brood already being raised, then one of our established NUCs with bees might be right for you. Think of NUCs as mini-colonies ready to be transplanted into your hive at home.
In addition to our own Nucs, Flying Bee Ranch is excited to now offer Nucs from both Foothills Honey Company (Molalla, Oregon) and Sowers Apiaries (Canby, Oregon). Both apiaries are family-run and specialize in high quality five-frame Nucs.
Queen source: We use Kona Queens in Hawaii and local breeders in both Oregon and northern California. In all cases, the queens will be either hybrid Italian or hybrid Carniolan. Both Italian and Carniolan queens are known for being reliable honey producers, quick to build up brood nests in the spring, and have docile manners. Queens are selected by performance traits such as mite resistance and brood laying performance rather than race. Therefore we are unable to guarantee the race of each queen.
Nuc Box: Each NUC includes 5 frames filled with honey, pollen, brood, and bees. We also include (1) high-protein patty to feed your bees with. Feeding your NUCs is one of the best techniques to rearing a successful colony and jump starting spring build up. We recommend purchasing a feeder for your hive to feed your bees sugar water. We have several different feeder options available to choose from. Your bees will come in white, waxed corrugated cardboard NUC boxes. There is no deposit required for the boxes and they do not have to be returned.
NUCs should be transferred into their new hives within 24 hours of your Pickup date.
How much do NUCs cost?
- NUCs are $210-220
- A CASH DISCOUNT of $10.00 is available by paying in cash!
- To receive the cash discount you must either 1) Pay by cash or check in full, in advance, in our Store, or 2) reserve your nuc online by choosing the $40.00 deposit by card. The remaining balance of $170-180 is due in cash at the time of nuc pickup.
Where & When Can I Pick Up My NUC?
- You can pick up your bees at 5180 Lardon Road NE, Salem, Oregon 97305.
- You can pick up bees on your scheduled pickup date from 7:00am – 9:00am. We will send an email confirmation prior to your pickup day as a reminder.
- NO SHIPPING is available for NUCs.
- Please be prepared to interact in the “bee yard.” You are responsible for your own safety. Please be prepared to bring your bee suit, gloves, and a way to secure your NUC box in your vehicle so they don’t tip over. We recommend purchasing one of our NUC Mesh Bags if you plan to transport your bees inside your vehicle.
We plan to continue the drive-thru style NUC pick ups. A Flying Bee Ranch staff member will check you in when you arrive and load your bees for you. You may pull aside to secure your bees once they have been loaded. For any special accommodations, please contact us in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Please call to request a refund. There are NO refunds on NUC orders after February 24, 2023. Cancelled orders are subject to a $40.00 cancellation fee. All pre-ordered NUCs must be picked up by 9:00am on your scheduled pickup date or they will be considered abandoned. Abandoned NUCs will be sold and no refunds given.
Our goal is to make sure you have a positive and successful experience with your NUC. However, Flying Bee Ranch does not guarantee the successful establishment of a colony, nor does Flying Bee Ranch assume any responsibility once the bees leave our farm. Please note that Nuc pickup days are subject to change. We are not able to predict the weather when the dates are set in January each year. We do our best to meet these timelines, but will move the dates if needed in order to deliver quality Nucs. During the transfer of frames into your hive, please verify that you have a queen—or at least eggs, because we know it’s sometimes very difficult to spot her! If something is unsatisfactory to you, we want to know about it before the frames get transferred. Once the frames are in your own box, we will not be able to replace the NUC.
Jack (verified owner) –
Really good place to buy Bees
Aristotel Condrea –
The best in the Northwest. Made me fall in love with the bees.