2022 Nucleus Hives
About Nucleus Hives (NUCS)
Nucleus hives (NUCs) are perfect for beginning beekeepers, and for replacing winter losses. If you are looking for a hive that is already semi-established with a laying queen and brood already being raised, then one of our established NUCs with bees might be right for you. NUCs are more ethically raised than “packages” of bees, and have a better chance of success. Think of NUCs as mini-hives ready to be transplanted into your hive at home.
Our NUCs include an introduced 2022 Kona Queen. We try to use hybrid Italian queens, known for their great honey production, quick spring build up, and docile manners. However, the queens in these nucleus colonies are selected by performance traits such as mite resistance and brood laying performance rather than race. Therefore we are unable to guarantee the race of each queen.
Each NUC includes 5 frames filled with honey, pollen, brood, and bees. We also include (1) high-protein patty to feed your bees with. Feeding your NUCs is one of the best techniques to rearing a successful colony and jump starting spring build up. We recommend purchasing a feeder for your hive at home to feed your bees sugar water. We have several different feeder options to choose from. Your bees will come in white, waxed corrugated cardboard NUC boxes. There is no deposit required for the boxes and they do not have to be returned.
NUCs should be transferred into their new hives within 24 hours of your Pickup date.
How much do NUCs cost?
- NUCs are $190.00
- A CASH DISCOUNT of $10.00 is available by paying in cash!
- To receive the cash discount you can either 1) pay cash in full, in advance, in our Store, or 2) pay the $35.00 non-refundable deposit online. The remaining balance of $145.00 cash is due on or before your NUC Pickup Day.
Where & When Can I Pick Up My NUC?
- You can pick up your bees at 5180 Lardon Road NE, Salem, Oregon 97305.
- You can pick up bees on your scheduled pickup date from 7:00am – 8:45am. We will send an email confirmation prior to your pickup day as a reminder.
- NO SHIPPING is available for NUCs.
- Please be prepared to interact in the “bee yard.” You are responsible for your own safety. Please be prepared to bring your bee suit, gloves, and a way to secure your NUC box in your vehicle so they don’t tip over. We recommend purchasing one of our NUC Mesh Bags if you plan to transport your bees inside your vehicle.
We plan to continue the drive-thru style NUC pick ups. A Flying Bee Ranch staff member will check you in when you arrive and load your bees for you. You may pull aside to secure your bees once they have been loaded. For any special accommodations, please contact us in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Please call to request a refund. There are NO refunds on NUC orders after February 25, 2022. Cancelled orders are subject to a $35.00 cancellation fee. All pre-ordered NUCs must be picked up by 9:00am on your scheduled pickup date or they will be considered abandoned. Abandoned NUCs will be sold and no refunds given.
Our goal is to make sure you have a positive and successful experience with your NUC. We will make every effort to answer your questions promptly. However, Flying Bee Ranch does not guarantee the successful establishment of a colony, nor does Flying Bee Ranch assume any responsibility once the bees leave our farm. During the transfer of frames into your hive, please verify that you have a queen—or at least eggs, because we know it’s sometimes very difficult to spot her! If something is unsatisfactory to you, we want to know about it before the frames get transferred, because once the frames are in your own box, we will not be able to replace the NUC or refund your purchase.